Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 23,2011

Weekend Update

Saturday 1/22/11 and Sunday 1/23/11:
This aint no cake walk!  The journey of Chemo Treatment is paved with side effect management and this weekend I experienced a rainbow discomfort.

With the priority of sleep in mind – I began the weekend with a little Benadryl to make it through one full night of sleep.  The Benadryl worked and I slept right through my dose of anti-nausea medication.  Anyone who has read about or gone through chemo understands that it is much better to avoid nausea then to treat it.  Needless to say – I started my Saturday plenty nauseous. 

Chemo chemicals had all but halted my body functions – for the first time ever I took Milk of Magnesia and the lesson here – a little goes a long way and lot goes places you don’t want to go!

Nausea all over again.  With my systems working again thanks to the Milk of Magnesia, which also caused abdominal pain/cramping that had me buckled over for most of Sunday.  Thank goodness for after hours Doctors – with a little medical advice and additional pain pills I am happy to say that I have survived the weekend. 

While I did not get a run or a bike or even a walk in this weekend – my abs are feeling the pain.  I don’t think I will be sitting on my exercise ball during working hours in the days to come.

On a positive note:  I was able to get a few movies in during all this mayhem – "Machete" and "Total Recall" as well as a complete marathon of pre-recorded "How I Met Your Mother" – I have a ton of one liners now and no one but Matt to torture with them. 

Party planning:
A well known side effect of Chemo is hair loss.  I have been told to expect hair loss as a result of the second treatment.  My second treatment is currently scheduled for 2/10/11.  I have decided to shave my hair before then.  I would rather take my own hair before chemo does, and I would like to share this milestone with my friends – so Matt and I are having a party on Friday 1/28/11.  My stylist from "Visible Changes" has agreed to come to the house to shave my head (and anyone else who wants to partake).  The whole family will participate and we will also be shaving both our dogs for this occasion.  Our family has been very supportive of my treatment and both my father-in-law and brother-in-law have shaved their heads (pictures coming soon). 
Picture of Storm and Gusta with Hair (they know what is coming)

This weekend has been LEGEN...wait for it...DARY.
Nancy
Aka:  SuperMonkey


I walk slowly, but I never walk backward. Abraham Lincoln

3 comments:

  1. Nancy (and Matt) you are doing great! Love reading your posts. Try the carrot and apple juice combo. Lots of love and light to you! xoxo Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey tia luis said that he likes the Ducati but the specialized bike is better bet it goes faster too.... your juice idea doesnt sound too good...i dont dig veggies in blenders... and why are you trying too work out? are you crazy?!? tia get rest its the best i would love to sleep all day but my tazmanian devil makes sure that doesnt happen... lol

    p.s.
    stand tall and never fall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helen,
    I miss you lots and wish you were closer so I could give you a big hug!! I would take a bullet for you and I would even take the treatments for you if I could. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. I love you little sister!!! Remember everything is temporary...especially the bad times. Maybe when your treatments are over we could go prom dress shopping together? Just consider it. Love you long time, Vicky

    ReplyDelete