Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 18, 2011

On Saturday 1/15/11
Wigs:
I originally did not anticipate getting a wig – I thought it would be ok to go with caps and scarves.  But after talking to several cancer survivors who underwent Chemo Therapy I decided that it would be a good idea to look at my options.  
Matt and I went wig shopping – and oh boy there are a lot of decisions to make including:  height, style and color.  Cut is actually done after you receive the wig (which is totally awesome).  Below are a few pictures of the experience (notice the Ducati red hair in the last picture) 

Outside of Wig Salon

Blonds Have More Fun

But Brunets Do It Better

So Many Hats, Scarves and Turbans To Choose From

Bee Bop

Matt Wishes!!



On Monday 1/17/11
I had a PET Scan – this was done to determine whether or not I have cancer anywhere else in my body.  It including an injection of radioactive material – which meant I was not to handle small children for at least 6 hours post scan … pretty cool huh.  
The PET Scan was done in the back of the clinic which is currently being remodeled to accommodate the PET Scan capability.  I changed for the scan and the best part – I got pants   I was called back by the nurse and we actually left the clinic and went into a mobile scanning unit (so I basically got my radioactive scan in a radioactive trailer).  They told me this is the same type of unit that was used during the hurricane by all the hospitals locally in Houston and in Louisiana because of the damage sustained.  I rode a platform up to the “garage door” which revealed the FBI type environment.  Scan on one end – technicians in the middle and patients on the other end.  Now I know how ET Felt!!

The scan itself takes only about 30 minutes – but the prep takes a while – they are essentially testing for other cancerous cells with a combination of radioactive material and glucose.  Tests results currently look promising, more tests to come.  
Self Portrait Before the Scan

View on Scanner While I Am Drinking the Glucose

On Tuesday 1/18/11
I had my first chemotherapy treatment.  
Pre-Treatment:  Blood results were given to me, they have to take blood counts before every treatment.  I take steroids orally the day prior, the day of and the day after each treatment.  
Treatment:  I take an anti-nausea pill orally while at the clinic.  I am administered all remainder of the medicines via IV including:  anti-nausea, Benadryl and separately 3 types of chemo medicines.  It took approximately 6 hours to administer all the IV medicine (they expect that this will decrease in the next treatment – but it main remain the same).    
Post Treatment:  I manage my body pain with good old fashioned Aleve and Claritin (for 7 days and if that doesn’t work – rub some dirt on it I guess … Right Rick).  I continue the steroid orally (for a total of 3 days).  I do return to the clinic tomorrow for a white blood cell booster to keep my counts high and work on recovering from a day of chemo chemicals.  
Chemo Next Steps:  Start all over again the first week of February by going back to the oncologist for a follow up visit and another battery of blood test.  
Party Planning Note:  Matt and I are still working out the Party details, FYI I will be shaving my head (before my hair falls out) and all others are free to join – the tentative date for the party is Friday 1/28/11.


What to Wear -- I Changed Twice Before Leaving

Me In My Chemo Cubby

I Am Ready!!

Stay tuned for more Super Monkey Adventures!!


"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu


4 comments:

  1. Seeing your smiling face makes me smile, SM! And I love the red hair by the way... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy - I always knew you were STRONG, but you continue to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy you are truly amazing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, Cynthia and I give you all of our love, affection and strength everyday. The Bee Bop wig is tops on my list! Love you. Cynthia and Larry
    PS......You know that little dimple you have on your cheek.....if I were there I would be kissing that dimple.....Love Cindy

    ReplyDelete