Friday, June 24, 2011

June 24, 2011

Friday 6/24/11
In all honesty, this week has been very challenging - I have learned about the limitations I will face the rest of my life.  I still want to live a full life.  Matt has done his fair share of counseling in the last few days and reminded me that I am very lucky, I am still alive!   And while my life will be different (more cautious) it will still be full of SuperMonkey Adventures.  Don't get me wrong I am very grateful for the life I have including all the experiences I have had and the amazing people I have met along the way.  Thank you everyone for being so GREAT!!
Thursday 6/23/11
Another doctors visit.  My surgical team consisted of 2 surgeons (one who performed the mastectomy and removed my lymph nodes and the other who placed the tissue expanders).  The surgeon I have been seeing to date that has been managing my drains and tissue expanders is the plastic surgeon.  Today I went to see the other surgeons' office.  I was seen by his nurse practitioner (my surgeon is currently out on paternity leave) and we talked about a few things: recovery time, physical therapy and pain management.  She explained that we have to wait until the pain subsides and everything is properly healing in order to start any physical therapy.  Having lymph nodes removed places me at high risk of developing lymphedema* (explanation below).  We also discussed the fact that I have lost feeling in my upper left arm and under my arm.  This is a side effect of lymph node removal and we will not know for several weeks if I will get any of that feeling back (it is possible that this is a permanent side effect).  The visit was very informative.   
Patiently waiting to see the Nurse Practitioner :)


*Explanation of lymphedema
When any part of the lymphatic system is damaged, fluid can back up, resulting in swelling. This swelling is called lymphedema. Left untreated, the area can become stiff and painful with burning sensations from the protein-rich fluid. Stiffness in the tissues can lead to a constriction of the lymph channels, which results in more swelling. Swollen tissue can tax the lymph vessels causing them to dilate, leak, and become inefficient. The affected area (usually the arm, hand, or chest) may become so swollen that movement becomes difficult. Treating the swelling as soon as possible will decrease the chances of further damage.
Wednesday 6/22/11
Another visit to the surgeon today and I had one more drain removed - this means I have only one drain left.  Matt and I will continue to record the output and the hope is to have it removed sometime early next week.  
What did I have done and what is the plan?
Since so much has happened I thought it was a good time to explain what I had done and the current treatment plan.  
Surgery included a double mastectomy (means the breast tissue was removed from both of my breasts).  The great news about the mastectomy is that the surgeon was able to spare my nipples (meaning I still have them).    
I had cancer in my lymph nodes under my left arm when I was diagnosed in January of this year, therefore a portion of lymph nodes under my left arm were removed during surgery.  This included quite a bit of tissue so it makes sense that this would cause a lot of pain.
Lastly, the surgical team placed tissue expanders - these will be filled with saline in the weeks to come in hopes to keep my skins' elasticity during radiation.  
  
Today the surgeon also started to add saline to my tissue expanders.  The objective is to allow my skin to stretch as much as possible before I start radiation.  Radiation has several side effects - one of which is loss of skin elasticity and the surgeon will continue to add fluid and remove fluid during radiation in an effort to retain as much elasticity as possible.  
Tuesday 6/21/11
As one of the few days without a doctors' visit Matt and I paid a visit to our friends at Houston Super Bikes today with BBQ lunch.  It was a great time - always good to see our crazy friends at the shop.  
Monday 6/20/11
It has been a week since surgery and while things are going well I still rely heavily on Matt for help to do basically everything.  Between the drains and the stitches I have started to isolate the source of most of my pain and I have found that my left side where I had lymph nodes removed hurts the most. 
  
Today I went back to the surgeons' office, the visit went well and I had another drain removed - I am now down to 2 drains (one on each side).  
The remaining drains will be removed as the output reduces (ideally below 25 cc in 24 hours).  


In the waiting room

More Shenanigans in the waiting room

Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy
Aka:  SuperMonkey



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment