Sunday, June 19, 2011

June 19, 2011

Sunday 6/19/11
Matt was able to get in a early morning motorcycle ride after reinstalling the velocity stacks and oil breather filter.  Later he ran several errands while I spent most of the day resting.  It is a full time job remembering that I need plenty of rest in order to get better, although the fact that my body is still sore helps remind me.  
Matt's Hypermotard
(latest addition to the family)


I am working on the thank you notes for all the awesome gifts I have recently received, but there is one thank you that I don't think a note alone could cover.  A special thank you to my husband Matt!  Matt has been so great through all of this doing basically everything for me.  Doing all the laundry, washing all the dishes, prepping all the meals, dressing me, medicating me and reminding me that no matter what I am beautiful.  Matt a simple thank you could never do - I hope I tell you enough how grateful I am and how much you compassion shines through in everything you do.  I love you!!
Saturday 6/18/11
Mark and Stephanie are getting married today.  When Mark and Stephanie originally told us they were getting married today we told them Matt would be attending alone due to my surgery.  Well Mark and Stephanie visited the house earlier this week and they reminded me that I was more then welcome to attend the wedding if I felt up to it, and while I did not think I would be in any condition to attend this special event - I actually woke up today and decided if I could find something suitable to wear I would attend their wedding.  Matt and I hit a couple of stores and were able to find an appropriate outfit (that hid my drains).  While trying outfits on was very tiring I think being out in the hot weather (over 100 degrees) was even more tiring.  I did a lot of resting today and we were off to the wedding.  I wore my wig,  figuring I might as well since this is such a special event and it is a good day to 'fit in'.  I am very glad I attended the wedding, both Mark and Stephanie have great families and sharing in someone's special day is a real privilege.  
While Cancer is now and will always be a part of my life I am a strong believer that it should not be the only thing in my life.  Attending a wedding is a great reminder that life goes on and I need to keep the good things about life in mind.  I have a positive attitude and make things fun, but that does not take away from the fact that fighting cancer is challenging and can be overwhelming at times.  Being a part of a celebration such as this is a great reminder of what I am fighting for!  
Self Portrait
Wig and Shades (double whammy)

Matt and I at the Wedding

Mark and Stephanie During the Toast

Stephanie's Mom and Dad ... love them :)
Friday 6/17/11
Matt has been measuring the liquid that comes out of each drain every day.  And yesterday we noticed that one drain is not active and was inactive the entire time we were in the hospital.  We started the day by going to the surgeons' office to have my drains looked at.  After a quick assessment the physicians assistant said the drains were in fact clogged - the tubbing had collapsed at the point they are attached to my body.  She loosened the knots and was able to get 2 of the drains to flow.  But the original drain we were concerned with remained inactive, and after consulting with the doctor she decided to remove that drain.  She asked that I take a deep breath and when I exhaled she pulled it out.  The sound it makes when she pulls it out is pretty gross, but since this drain never flowed well the liquid trapped inside suddenly started to drain out of my body.  This was a pretty yucky feeling but the physicians' assistant managed the situation very well.  She worked very hard to get all the liquid out and bandaged the drain up - it will close in the next few days.  She also removed another drain that had very little activity.  After a lot of drain excitement we left the surgeons' office and I had only 3 of the 5 drains left.  Managing 3 drains is much better then 5 but I will be happy when I have them all removed.  Our next follow up appointment is Monday and I am hopeful to remove more drains then.  
This doctors' visit really wore me out and by the time we returned home I was ready for more pills and a nap.  
The rest of the day was recovery.  
Thursday 6/16/11
The surgery is still pretty fresh, but I am reminded that it is great to be home. 
At this point breathing takes a lot of effort - my chest remains tight and sensitive from the surgery. 
My spirits are great!  Our support system has come through once again.  Matt and I spent the day juggling medication, naps, mail and visits from friends.  
Aftercare:  
As mentioned in the previous update I have 5 drains in my body and these drains require consistent monitoring and emptying each day.  Matt has been amazing and has done an incredible job caring for my drains.  Today Matt noticed that one of my drains was not flowing at all so we called the surgeon's office.  We were asked to take a picture and email it to the doctors' office.  After closely examining the photo we were advised to come into the surgeons' office in the morning because the drain appears to be clogged.  Matt was given instructions on how to clear the clog but we weren't able to get this cleared.  We will have to go into the office in the morning.  
3 drains pictured here
(the bottom drains are clogged)


We are not alone:
Being diagnosed with and undergoing treatment of cancer can be a very isolated time.  Matt and I have been very lucky in that we have had an amazing support network.  This week everyone has really come through and we are really appreciative!!
By Mail:
We received a chocolate basket from Karen and Nick (Matt's Aunt and Uncle in Salem Ma).   My team sent me a flying monkey which I am now calling "Super Stupid Monkey" - while  I know this could be construed as a negative name - I really think it is the most fitting given the special skills this monkey possesses.  
In Person:
Chris and Heather visited with a potted plant.  Mark and Stephanie also visited and brought a potted plant and home made chicken soup, made by Stephanie's sister Sandra - who I only met a week ago - she is very sweet.  Tommy and Vera visited and brought dinner and some SuperMonkey Paraphernalia (pillow and socks).  By the way all visitors were asked to have some SuperMonkey Cake shown on Wednesday's update.   


Super Stupid Monkey Demo


Tommy and Vera brought over the SuperMonkey Pillow and Dinner


Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy
Aka:  SuperMonkey



"People are like dirt.  They can either nourish you and help you grow as a person or they can stunt your growth and make you wilt and die."
 - Plato

No comments:

Post a Comment