Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8, 2011

Sunday 5/8/11
Happy Mother's Day!
We are 3 days into "The Great SuperMonkey Chunk Off"  and we had an unofficial weigh in this morning - Matt has lost 6 lbs and I have lost 3 - of course weight is different then % body fat :)
This afternoon was heavy with resting and napping in preparation for a little workout this evening.  Matt and I showed up to the park at about 5 pm and started with a mountain bike ride, unfortunately I haven't been on a mountain bike since last year.  3 sad miles and 150 calories later I was done, due to extreme nausea.  We followed this with a run ... Unfortunately I made it about 1/2 mile before I realized the nausea was just too much today.  I turned around and did the 1/2 mile walk back to the car.  Matt caught a few more miles ... But I did a total of 1 mile and burned another 160 calories.  I am so excited about the conclusion of chemo .. But have to remember that the road back is a long one.  In all honesty it is a little frustrating to be where I am - not quite sick and not quite healthy.  I can walk around with nausea and live my life, but once I start to exert myself it becomes unbearable.  I know that I need to be patient with the healing process - but I miss feeling well and I really miss adventure.  There is nothing like the adrenaline that comes with an 18 mile marathon training run or a fast lap on the mountain bike at Double Lake.  These are the things I didn’t fully appreciate before all this began.  Picture below of me after my bike ride (someone isn’t happy).
We made it home and after a shower and dinner it is going to be an early evening ... Not always a bad thing.
Sadest SuperMonkey In Town

Saturday 5/7/11
Matt worked out today with Tommy and Vera at the park and burned 1200 calories.  I wasn't feeling up for the early morning workout so I stayed home and rested.  
As you can see our approaches to weight loss have to be different while I make it past my chemo side effects.  I am restricting calories (within reason), Matt is working out and restricting calories.
Today was a really relaxed day ... Errands actually wore me out and I took several naps throughout the evening.  Hoping for a more energetic Sunday!!
Friday 5/6/11
Today I returned to the clinic for my final Neulasta shot (white blood cell booster).  This medication makes my body ache for about 7 days - but it also helps keep me healthy and my treatment on course (well worth the sacrifice).
Thursday 5/5/11
Today was a great day ... It was my final chemo treatment.  While I will have to continue on one maintenance medication for one year ... It does not carry the same side effects.
Picture of me below after my final treatment!!

Best Cinco I have ever had!!!

The major side effect that I am taking with me post-chemo is the extra weight I have gained.  With all the medication I am on I have had to force myself to eat to avoid getting / feeling sick.  My steroid also has increased my appetite.  Your average breast cancer patient gains 30-40 lbs ... Which let me just say is pretty sad news.  I gained about 10 lbs ... Although I was walking around with an extra 5 lbs.  So I am sitting at 15 lbs overweight.   
So what does this mean ... It means it is time for a friendly competition in the Jordan household - "The Great SuperMonkey Chunk Off".  Matt is convinced that he has gained sympathy weight so he has a few extra pounds he would like to lose.  In order to go about this the right way we have decided to measure not only pounds but body fat.  I had already ordered and received my fat calipers via mail and we have taken our measurements and the competition is up and running.  The winning criteria is based on highest percentage of body fat lost.
A little background - we had actually decided to start this about a week ago.  Matt later told me that he had actually been "chunking up"  for the past week (eating pizza, pasta, ding-dongs and ho-hos) in preparation for the measurements / weigh in.  I call this cheating - Matt calls it competing - as a matter of fact he put on 6 lbs in a week.
My current percent body fat is 32 %
Matt's percent body fat is 35 %
Official start 5/5/11.
The competition ends 9/1/11 and will be measured by highest percentage body fat lost.
Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey adventures,
Nancy
AKA:  SuperMonkey
"He is able who thinks he is able."
 - Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment