Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4, 2011

Wednesday 5/4/11
This is an out of the ordinary update - I don’t have any pictures to share or any funny stories. 
I am merely interested in posting some super awesomo news.  Tomorrow 5/5/11 is my 6th of 6 chemo treatments - you guessed it my last one.  While I will continue on one of my chemo medications monthly for 1 year it comes with much less side effects and does not cause hair loss.  
I have learned a lot about myself since being diagnosed with Breast Cancer and starting chemo.  The most important thing I have learned is the value of a positive attitude.  It is my positive attitude that has reminded me every day that there is a lot of fight inside of me and I am not going to give up that easy.  
I won’t give up when I have trouble in the bathroom (you know the kind).  
I won’t give up when I feel so much nausea I can’t even get out of bed.  
I won’t give up when people react to me having no hair (I didn’t realize that people carried so much judgement in their eyes).  
I won’t give up when I realize how limiting being sick can be at times (I no longer have the option of doing all the fun stuff I used to do because I am tired or ill or working hard to manage my current side effect).
I won’t give up when I feel sad about my sudden diagnosis (going from 0 to 100 is not always a good thing).
I won’t give up when I get sick and the over the counter medicine actually makes me feel sicker (Mucinex DM was a bad experience).
I have spent a long time thinking about and focusing on getting better and while I have had some very dark moments I have to say that the biggest reason I won’t and haven’t given up is because a long time ago I started building my cancer fighting army ... and I didn’t even know it.  
I married an amazing husband - who reminds me of my butt kicking attitude every minute of every day (even when I don’t remember).   By the way I think this was partly associated with looking for him really hard and being lucky enough to recognize how special he was the moment I got to know him.  
I have worked hard to maintain positive relationships with my family.  
I have been healthy, daring and competitive enough to participate in some amazing activities from Bike Racing (road and mountain), Adventure Racing, Running Races and Motorcycle Riding to name a few.
I have been lucky enough to meet and smart enough to befriend some amazing friends (mostly through all the fun activities that I mentioned above, but also through work and home) - I guess I have befriended in most areas of my life.  
My point in saying all this is not to remind you of how great I am ... that’s right I said remind you.  My point in saying all of this is to remind you of the things and people in my life that have helped me see the greatness in my journey.  All those things I learned about myself and others were only possible because of how I lived my life before all this happened and those individuals I had in my life before really helped me when I most needed it and they probably didn’t even realize it.  
Cancer doesn’t change you - it just makes you more of who you already were.  For me this has and continues to be an incredible journey.  The system isn’t perfect, but I have learned so much about all the opportunities in the experience of being diagnosed and being treated for cancer.  Thank you all for loving me, caring about me, encouraging me and educating me - it has made a big difference in my butt kicking journey ... Cancer never had a chance!
Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy 
AKA:  SuperMonkey
Today’s Quotes are from Joel Osteen - the first 2 are from his book “Your Best Life Now:  7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential”
"Don’t just accept whatever comes your way in life. You were born to win; you were born for greatness; you were created to be a champion in life." 
 - Joel Osteen
"We may get knocked down on the outside, but the key to living in victory is to learn how to get up on the inside." 
 - Joel Osteen
"You cannot expect victory and plan for defeat." 
- Joel Osteen

No comments:

Post a Comment