Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1, 2011

Saturday 4/30/11
Today was Matt’s first track day on the Ducati Xerox 999R.  I was feeling good so I decided to tag along for the entire day.  The day started very early - we left the house at 5:30 am and were at the track by 7 am.  Matt found a great parking spot and we worked together to unload the bike from the trailer and all necessary gear.  The morning was a little moist - the day turned out being overcast, windy and humid (high today at the track reached 85 degrees).  
I spent the day watching riders go on and off the track and under normal circumstances this is pretty low key -- but as a chemo / cancer patient this was a pretty full and tiring day.  By the afternoon I was pretty tired and needed a nap - which I comfortably took from the car.  Being at the track I do feel excited for the day when I take the Monster to the track.

I spent most of the day talking to a riders’ wife who was very sweet - she actually volunteers for The Ronald McDonald House at Texas Children’s Hospital on the oncology unit.  We talked about the challenge of facing cancer and that as a child / adolescent it comes with it’s own set of challenges.  Honestly, in my opinion the children / adolescent cancer survivors are very special people and while facing cancer is very scary - it puts life in perspective and I am completely convinced that once these children move past cancer nothing can stop them.  While I am physically weaker at this time in my life I am sure I will never view anything the same again.  Things that previously challenged me are much simpler and smaller now.  While I know that the “cancer treatment” chapter isn’t over for me yet I know that life will never be the same and that isn’t always a bad thing.  I know the importance of friends and family and living life to it’s fullest.  I know that no one knows what awaits them, but I would like to think that if I knew 10 years ago that I would be facing cancer and it’s subsequent treatment I would still live my life exactly as I have lived it full of:  laughter, love, adventure racing, motorcycle riding and a deep appreciation for all that life brings (those things we plan for and those things we don’t).
Ducati Xerox 999R Track Ready!

Self Portrait of me with the Ducati Xerox 999R :)

Matt Tracking the Ducati Xerox 999R :)
Friday 4/29/11
Today I saw my oncologist; my blood work looks good and I am expecting to have my final Chemo next week.  We discussed the upcoming weeks and months.  I asked a lot of questions and she was very patient and provided more info about radiation and what to expect from my continued care after radiation.  After surgery and radiation I will continue on one of my medications once a month for a year.  My oncologist also explained that body scanning will continue after treatment is over to monitor for any additional signs of cancer.  It was during this conversation that I was reminded that thinking too far ahead can overwhelm you.  For now I have enough on my plate to get past my final chemo and prepare for surgery.  
Today was also my final day on Cipro -- I feel lots better, still have a runny nose and a slight cough.  Overall, I feel like I am ready for my 6th of 6 chemo treatments (scheduled for Thursday 5/5/11).  
Thursday 4/28/11
Today my surgeon’s office called with a few details.  
My initial consult with my plastic surgeon is scheduled for Thursday 5/19/11.  
My surgery is scheduled for Monday 6/13/11. 
I did a little research on my plastic surgeon, her website has lots of info and has been very informative.  I have been very focused on obtaining specific information online - warned by all my doctors that too much searching is dangerous.   

Wednesday 4/27/11
Today I received a call from my surgeon saying that there was a slight change in plans -- we would do a double mastectomy and lymph node removal at the same time.
Followed by radiation for 6 weeks and reconstruction 6 months later.  
We discussed options for my surgery date and plastic surgeon availability - we set a target date of 6/1 or after and he agreed to call me later in the week with more details.  
Sunday 4/24/11
Matt and I started the day with a motorcycle ride looking for coffee -- we decided to try  a little coffee shop down the street, but they were closed due to the Holiday (today is Easter), so instead we went to Starbucks.  
This afternoon we went for a run at Memorial Park.  The run was very rough to start -- but eventually I found a pace that worked and was able to muscle through the 4 miles we set out to do.
Smiling for a photo (before the run)


Saturday 4/23/11
Matt has been working on preparing the Ducati Xerox 999R for the track and today he finished the fairings.  I have a couple of pictures below.  Matt has become really handy in the garage  - he was able to do most of the work independent of a professional mechanic.  But our friends at Houston SuperBikes did provide some much needed help when the bike didn’t start because of a missing fuse.  I am really happy that Matt will be using the bike on the track because that is after all how the bike is meant to be ridden.  
Matt Hard at work (the bike looks very different without fairings)

Fairings with the hole that Matt and I just drilled (yikes)

Ducati Xerox 999R with it's new look - Track Ready 


Friday 4/22/11
The last couple of days have been really mellow -- I am still feeling sick and easily fatigued.  After a full day of work most evenings entail a nap, dinner and then back to bed.  It is definitely true that I have to decide what I am going to expend my energy on these days.  
Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy
Aka:  SuperMonkey
“God helps those who help themselves.”
First coined by Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment