Tuesday, March 29, 2011

March 29, 2011

Monday 3/28/11
Remember that bike that I mentioned on Friday?
It is a 2009 Ducati Monster 1100 S, it is red, has Ohlins Suspension and a Ducati Race ECU and it is beautiful!!  
A little bike background:  My first bike ever was a 2008 Harley Davidson Crossbones -- I was a tough girl.  My second bike was a 2008 Triumph Speed Triple -- a naked bike that made me look like a hooligan.  My third bike was and still is a 2006 Ducati 999R Xerox -- you have seen pictures of me on this bike at the track.  This bike is an amazing piece of machinery.  It offers a great deal in terms of performance and is track ready.  The bike runs very hot and is not friendly to riding in Houston in the summer - so Matt and I knew at some point I would have to decide if I wanted to get another bike or trade in the Xerox.  Given my current situation, I know that the Xerox asks too much of me - the riding position is very aggressive and in my opinion it requires a great deal of focus.  With all of that said, this Monster at the shop is something that suits my current needs a little better.  It is not as hot in the summer and the riding position is more upright so less aggressive. 
So Matt and I decided that given the fact that we just sold the SuperM - we can take in a new addition to the family and I am buying the Ducati Monster.  I guess I can still call it SuperM for SuperMonster -- but personalized plates for motorcycles are pretty limiting and I didn’t land in a good place.  So for now -- I will have to do without the personalized plates.  Just know that I will be out there riding around on my Monster sometime soon.  Pictures coming.  
Monday night dinner:
Monday was a really good day and I was feeling pretty good.  Matt and I ended the day agreeing to go out to dinner at Cahills for a burger and a beer.  In all honesty, I didn’t taste the beer or burger much - as the chemo flavors in my mouth are pretty over-powering this week.  But we had a great time at dinner.  It was very quiet and we spoke at length to the bartender about hockey ... Redwings Suck!!  
Me at Cahill's with my Bud Light ... "HERE WE GO!!!"


I love my book and shirt - Thank you Brett :)

Saturday 3/26/11
Today started as a relaxed day of tax prep.  If that isn’t an oxy-moron, I don’t know what is.   Matt and I spent the morning preparing all of our tax paperwork for our accountant, while most of you think we are really late in the game - it is pretty amazing how much of your time chemo treatment steals ... I had full intention of having this all squared away by now but I wasn’t that lucky.  The good news is that Matt and I rounded up our info in half the time working as a team .. yahoo for taxes!!  Hopefully we don’t owe too much money this year - although with no children as tax deductions that is likely not the case.  The government loves our money :)
End of an era:
Matt and I have been considering selling the SuperM (BMW M Z3 Roadster) for some time now.  As a telecommuter I don’t drive it much and anyone who knows BMWs knows that they really need to be driven.  Long and short, we finally found the right buyer and today the car was picked up and on it’s way to Wilmington, DE.  I have never seen a car be shipped in this manner - so it was pretty interesting and scary all at the same time.  Matt and I watched this guy load the car and strap it down.  Then  off he went - to Louisiana to pick up another car, the days of my Super Charged BMW M Z3 Roadster are over.  I personally had a GREAT time owning the car and the SuperM will always have a special place in my heart.  
Who's sad about the SuperM leaving?

Load her up!

Forced Smile (bye bye SuperM)

Off to it's new home!

Friday 3/25/11
Today I returned to the clinic for my Neulasta Shot (White Blood Cell Booster).  Matt and I stopped by Houston Superbikes that evening to say hello and pick up Matt’s bike after his crash last week.  You can’t even tell it was down, they did a great job with the repairs.  
Here is a link to our good friends at Houston Superbikes:  http://desmoporsche.com/



And during today’s visit a Ducati Monster 1100 S caught my eye.  I had seen the bike before - but today it seemed more interesting.  More on that later.  
Me with "Jolly Roger Bandana" from St Thomas (thank you Larry and Cindy)
Thursday 3/24/11
Today I received the 4th of 6 treatments.  I am over half way through my chemo treatment.  I now know what to expect from the cocktail -- as it has remained the same each time, with the only addition being iron to assure that my blood counts stay high enough to keep my treatment on track and on time.  While treatment is pretty tiring -- Matt and I have fallen into a routine, he took me home and I was down for a nap.  
Medication keeps me busy and my commitment to resting is pretty much a full time job.  
Cake in my Chemo Cubby ... Yummy

Wednesday 3/23/11
Before leaving for my trip I was feeling pretty good and while I would like to think I have learned to master my chemo side-effects that is a lie.  I  have good days and bad days and there really seems to be no pattern at this point.  I was off my anti-nausea medication and for the duration of my trip I was able keep my stomach in check, no anti-nausea medicine while I was traveling.  I was lucky enough to stay on top of my nutrition and felt pretty good with the food I took in.  
San Francisco was GREAT!!  In comparison to the weather in Houston, it was crisp and refreshing.  Truth be told, being with co-workers for 3 solid days was very different then what I am used to now as a telecommuter.  As a people person,  I really miss being around people.
After 3 full days of meetings (brainstorming, discussions and ice-breakers everyone was ready to head home).  Although if you ask my meeting participants they may have enjoyed my ice-breakers -- always good to compete in paper airplane races, conjure up a knick name or win the title of “Candy Bar Royalty (Queen or King)” first thing in the morning.
Linda and I
Linda - thanks for the hat!!
Self Portrait at the airport (after Midnight)
Tired SuperMonkey
Tuesday 3/22/11
I wore my wig on Tuesday and after a VERY long day of wearing the wig I now have an opinion about wig wearing.  
What look wins (here is a hint - it’s not the wig):
I used this trip to try out the wig.  I can confidently say now that of all the looks I like the wig the least.  If you leave your room / home with a wig on you are committed to this look for the day (unless you want to walk around with the mark on your head that the wig leaves behind and a wig in your hand or in your bag).  I don’t like that.  With a hat I can easily decide to take it off or put it back on and while at times that makes people uncomfortable I would rather have the option then be limited to one look and temperature.  

Don’t get me wrong - I am very glad I have a wig ... it is a fun different look :)  But not really a surprise - I don’t love dealing with or handling hair.  My personal struggle with hair prior to Chemo and Cancer was that I had way too much of it and it always seemed to expand.  Now that I have no hair I find myself being even more frustrated with the way hair falls or looks or how gosh darn hot it is.  So for me, I think no hair is better :)
Me and Jen at Osha in San Fran

Amy, Jen and I at Osha in San Fran

Monday 3/21/11
I was met on Monday by many happy co-workers.  I made every effort to tell my co-workers about my diagnosis and treatment prior to travel -- I didn’t  and don’t want anyone to feel surprised.  Everyone at work has been absolutely amazing and supportive!!!  
While there aren’t really any words that can describe the remorse people feel about my condition - there are many success stories that people share and I find joy in hearing.  It seems that most people have been affected somehow by cancer -- they either know a survivor or have lost a loved one to the disease.  I would say the most challenging thing to date is hearing a story that touches me and remembering that I am at work and expected to keep it together.  When hearing these touching stories that people share I have to admit there are times that I have to really focus on holding back the tears.  It brings you to a different place to be this close to your own mortality.  You appreciate and respect things on a different level.  While I don’t profess to being an all knowing cancer survivor - I can honestly say that I will never be the same.  This situation ... this challenge has changed who I am, now and forever!!


Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy


"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
 - George S Patton

No comments:

Post a Comment