Sunday, March 13, 2011

March 13, 2011

Sunday 3/13/11
Today I ran some errands and this afternoon Matt and I got in a run.  We did about 4 miles and while I did experience some nausea I actually felt pretty good.  Matt knew I was struggling so we placed a wager and that helped me finish much stronger - I guess the competitor inside me needed to come out to play.  
Saturday 3/12/11
Today we visited one of our favorite stores R.E.I. (Recreational Equipment Inc), we had merchandise to return and I bought a couple of buffs.  Buffs provide a little flexibility to head gear for an upcoming meeting at work.  I recently tried scarves but quickly realized that scarves on my head is not really the look for me.  I am better with hats, a Buff or nothing covering my head.  
The hard part about going with nothing on my head is that I have found that people in the community stare a lot.  It has pushed me to be a little stronger and smile more.  
Friday 3/11/11
Nick stopped by for a quick visit this evening - nice to see him.  Nick and Jaunda have provided video footage from the SuperMonkey House Party and I have to do some editing before posting -- if I can master this I will be posting footage soon.  
Thursday 3/10/11
Received a visit from Ryan Calong (Matt’s co-worker) this evening.  Ryan is currently training for the IronMan in The Woodlands later this year.  And he was in town for work when he decided to stop in to say hello.  I asked a lot about how the training is going and in all honesty it was nice to talk about something other than Cancer.   Ryan thanks for stopping by. 
Tonight Matt and I went for a run at the park - 4 miles and this run was rough due to nausea - but with Matt’s continual words of encouragement I pushed through.  After our run we saw the team (HART) in the parking lot.  Again, it was so great to see everyone there.  The group had just finished training and they were packing up their cars.  Anyone who knows adventure racing knows that your team mates are very important and this team has been absolutely incredible, supportive and well just amazing.  They all asked how I was doing and all mentioned that I still look great (it was dark by then) and none of them saw me while I was running / walking.  All kidding aside, even if they had they would have been equally encouraging.    Adventure racing and adventure racers combined have made me a better person; stronger, braver, more fit, more competitive and much more compassionate!
Matt also bought the dogs a few toys -- the toys don’t usually last long before they are destroyed.  They lasted a total of 4 days.  Today I walked into the room and found this -- the toy staring at me:)


Squirrel

Wednesday 3/9/11
A word about the American Cancer Society.  The local chapter offers free head coverings and wigs to Cancer Patients.  I don’t need a wig - but I wanted to know if they had any scarves or any cool head coverings.  I picked up a few hats and the styles are pretty fun - seen below.  
Ridiculous Floppy Hat
Fun Green Knitted Hat

Tuesday 3/8/11
Today I received a package in the mail from Kathryn (in Minnesota).  Kathryn is my friend who made me a few hats while I was in Minnesota and she made a few more.  Kathryn has a fabulous crocheting skill and the hats are awesome!!!
White Hat

Fun Lavender


Brown and Puffy

Monday 3/7/11
Received a package from the CanCare volunteer I previously mentioned.  A super cool hat that matches a shirt I received recently.  Amy has been very sweet and I am deeply appreciative of having another cancer survivor to talk to about what I am going through.  
Fight Like A Girl Hat - Gotta Love Pink!!


This evening Caroline and Lance visited.  Caroline brought over some vegetable minestrone -- which was GREAT.  However, Caroline also include a King Cake in her delivery.  I haven’t had King Cake since Matt and I lived in Louisiana 7 years ago.  This cake was FABULOUS!!  Lance brought me a very cool gift - his mom makes pillows and she made me one.  It is in the shape of an angel and has several uses, can be used under your arm to alleviate pressure, added comfort.  It is a super cute idea and I am grateful that Lance’s mom - who has never met me sent me this Very Cool Gift.  Thank you Marolyn - the thank you card is in the mail.  
Marolyn's Angel


A note about visitors:  I was having a rough weekend - for whatever reason this treatment was really challenging for me, might have been the Ativan or the continuous feeling of exhaustion and sickness, either way, not good.  Even Monday was rough, until Caroline and Lance came over.  :)  Matt says that I light up with company - I can be feeling terrible, but I visit with people and almost immediately I look better.  I am a total social person - and I guess even with Cancer and Chemo that hasn’t changed.  I currently work from home and while this has been very convenient through treatment, it has created an opportunity to isolate.  It is clear that I need to be sure to continue to socialize and remain connected with people.  
Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy
Aka:  SuperMonkey
“Suffering becomes beautiful when anyone bears great calamities with cheerfulness, not through insensibility but through greatness of mind.” - Aristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment