Sunday, March 20, 2011

March 20, 2011

Sunday 3/20/11
Today I leave for a business trip to San Francisco.  I am facilitating a pretty big meeting.  I am taking my wig and haven’t decided if I will wear it while I am there.  When I wore it on Friday - I learned that it is actually pretty warm - this can be good a bad.  

Since having no hair I have realized how much heat escapes from my head -- I am hot then cold, then hot again all the time.  With the wig on my temperature was more stable -- but you can’t just take it off if you get hot -- so you are a little more limited.  I also haven’t worn it very much so it still feels very “different” not bad, but different.  Either way - it is great to have options I am glad I have the wig :)


Saturday 3/19/11
The day started early - Matt was up at 4 and I was up shortly after.  Matt had to get himself together for the day at the Track.  Matt and I have done a Track Day together and for those of you who don’t know what a Track Day is -- Motorcycle Riders who want to sharpen their skills at high speeds in a controlled environment sign up for a day of instruction and riding from racers.  You can learn a lot at these events, it is a very safe environment without distractions of the road and it is incredibly fun, but like anything worth doing it comes with it’s own set of risks.  All riders wear safety gear including:  Full Helmet, Full Leathers - either one or two piece, Back Brace, Motorcycle Boots and Protective Gloves.  Below are pictures of Matt and I from our first Track Day 12/12/10.
Me at the Track

Matt at the Track
Today - the plan was that Matt would go to the Track and I would meet him later.  I received a call from Matt at about 11 am (I was already headed to the Track) to tell me that he was fine, but I could turn around and go home.  Matt’s day was cut short from a low side crash into a corner half way into the second session. 
Matt made it through without injury -- but his bike needed a little TLC.  Matt can’t stop talking about how much fun he had and can’t wait to get back to the track. :)
A note about neighbors:  Matt and I are very lucky we have some unbelievable neighbors who have all remained very interested in and supportive of my treatment.  Chris and Heather are one street over - we share an alley and they are no exception in that they are supportive.  They continually ask how things are going and have offered to help in anyway possible.  Today they invited us over for dinner, they were having a few people over so a good chance for some social time.  
For those who don’t know this about me I come from a pretty big family and am actually the last of 9 children.  That means a lot of nieces and nephews, and growing up there were a lot of children; babies, toddlers and teenagers.  Chris and Heather have a toddler - Myles --- who is so just a few months shy of his second birthday.  His nanny speaks Spanish and therefore Myles says a lot of Spanish words -- it is AWESOME!!  I was a little concerned about how Myles would react to “No Hair Nancy”.  I arrived with a hat on my head and when I took it off Myles was very surprised and intrigued, it didn’t take him long to warm back up.   We spent lots of time playing with the camera -- some pictures below.  Myles is very interested in watches and clocks.  My watch has a bezel ring on it -- and Myles was super interested - he even learned the word “bezel”.  He doesn’t have the motor skills to move the bezel ring but he learned the word in no time.  
Myles and I had a great time playing -- maybe too good.  He ended up staying awake way past his bedtime ... Sorry Chris and Heather.  
Me at Chris and Heathers'

Myles having a great time

Me and Myles having fun with the camera and the hat :)


Chris and Heather were great hosts and Myles was a lot of fun.  Thank you for a great evening!!
Friday 3/17/11
I was able to get Storm an appointment at the vet for Friday and by now Matt was home and dropped him off for me.  I went to the office for a screening (which includes blood pressure, weight and cholesterol testing - via blood draw).  
I decided to wear my wig for some practice - I have not worn it for an entire day EVER.  I wasn’t able to see all my co-workers while I was there, but I realized how nice it was to see people.  Everyone noticed the new style and when I shared that it was a wig - most were surprised.  The wig is synthetic and I got a few comments that it must be real hair -- that Raquel Welch knows how to design a wig :)  
I had lunch with Vera - we ate outside and after making her promise that she would keep her eyes open -  I took this great picture of us at lunch - Thanks for taking the time for lunch Vera. :)

Vera and I at BerryHill

After picking Storm up from the vet ... he was exhausted and sick ... poor little guy.  Matt and I got home each with the intent to do a few things.  Matt prepared for his day at the Motorcycle Track in the garage, while I decided outside was better then inside and I volunteered to mow the lawn.  Matt is pretty protective of lawn mowing but was comfortable turning over the reigns this time :)  And believe it or not I mowed with my wig on.  Some people exercise with wigs on so this is no big deal for the wig.  Pictures below taken by Matt while I was mowing.  

Wig with Sun Glasses is a Good Look :)

Weed Whacking 

Mowing is so much fun!

Not sure what happened in this pic -- maybe hair flip :)

Week of 3/14/11
This week I had high hopes of running and exercising... What is it that quote “The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray”.  Well this week was no different - I found myself feeling very tired after a full day of work that left me feeling in need of rest instead of exercise.  

With Matt out of town and the feeling of exhaustion in the air ... wouldn’t you know it Storm (our Siberian Husky) got sick.  I spent 2 almost 3 days cleaning up the house of Storm poop.  For someone who is already experiencing nausea -- there is nothing like this type of clean up to straighten you out.   This is a true test of intestinal fortitude ... literally!!
Chemo fun fact:  There are lots of side effects you are warned about but you never know what you will experience because it is different for everyone.  I was told that changes to your nails are very normal.  I am living a life without pedicures which is pretty harsh - but this week my finger nails were very sensitive and as the week progressed my toe nails have been not only sensitive but have started to change color.  I am used to losing toe nails with races (marathons and adventure races) but this is a pretty constant pain that makes me consider and reconsider all my shoe choices.  For now I think cute shoes are out :(  
Stay Tuned for More SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy
Aka:  SuperMonkey
3 Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:
  1. “If you're robbing a bank and you're pants fall down, I think it's okay to laugh and to let the hostages laugh too, because, come on, life is funny.”
  2. “I wish I had a Kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both Dracula AND Superman away.”
  3. “If they ever come up with a swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something.”

No comments:

Post a Comment