Wednesday, February 2, 2011

February 2, 2011

Wednesday 2/2/11:
Today I went to St Luke’s Hospital to “accessorize”, I had a “Bard Power Port” installed.  This is a small triangular device that pipes directly to the jugular vein in my neck and down right above my heart.  It allows for easy access when having blood drawn or treatment administered (chemo and other medications) without having to stick my arms or wrists each time.  Mine is a Power Port meaning it allows for the ability for power-injected Contrast.  This device has titanium and while I am told it will not set off any metal detectors - such as the ones used in airports, I have a medical card that explains the fact that I am now somewhat “bionic” and super wicked cool.  There are also no concerns related to getting MRIs given the ports’ composition.  
Below is a link if you are interested in learning about the port.  It is pretty high tech stuff.  
Today’s visit to the hospital was pretty long - we were there at 7:30 am and while the port placement only takes about 45 minutes we didn’t get home until about 1:00 pm.
They use lidocaine - just as they do with a biopsy or a visit to the dentist and this numbs the area and they administer additional pain medication via my IV.  They told me the medication / anesthetic used causes patients to sleep during the procedure and keeps you from remembering what happened.  I remember needing quite a bit of medication -- this radiologist confirmed what the last one had told me ... “I have thick skin” which meant a little more tugging then normal.  I think I slept for about 5 minutes during the procedure - the rest of the time I asked the doctor plenty of questions.  He was very young and I asked how many of these he had done -- he assured me that it was over 50 -- which was good news.  The technology used during the procedure to feed the catheter attached to the port totally fascinated me and we spoke at length about the advances in Radiological Medicine.  The port will require monthly injections of blood thinner to assure the line does not clog and become useless.  The port can eventually be removed  if no longer needed.  
The staff there were FABULOUS!!  Great nurses including Luz, who explained every detail about the port and every specific after care instruction (even the restriction of no lawn mowing or vacuuming for 72 hours -- shoot I guess Matt will be doing all the heavy work for the next 3 days).  
I usually don’t respond well to medicine - but today’s visit was just fine.  I have included a couple of photos from today’s visit taken by Matt...thanks Matt.  
Radiology Waiting Room 

Radiology - Signing Waivers

Radiology Removing Bandaid 

Tuesday 2/1/11:
Today was a chilly day for everyone in the US and while Houston weather is usually spectacular this time of year -- we were about 35 degrees at 5 pm.  Matt and I decided to go for a run today and interestingly there weren’t too many other folks out there braving the cold.  I think I had about 6 layers on top (shirts, vests and a jacket), I had my long running pants on, a buff around my neck, a hat on my head and gloves on my hands.  I was comfortable after we got moving.  Because we ran in the trails Matt and I wore eye protection and because it gets dark early we wore headlamps.  It was a good day for a run - reminds you that you are alive to feel the cool air on your body.  
Trail Run in the cold

Support 
I think I have mentioned before that everyone has been really supportive and I have been getting tons of heart felt words.  
I have to take a moment to mention a few of the gifts and other signs of support from family and friends. 
Gifts: 
Christy Laufer who works with Matt send me the cutest little booties that her grandmother makes for breast cancer survivors.  They are absolutely adorable and as a “happy hooker” myself (hooker as in crochet hook) I totally appreciate the fact that she knitted these herself.  The detail in these booties is really cool and these booties will totally keep my feet warm for a very long time. 

Pink Booties :)

Stephanie Robledo’s 5th Grade Class made me a book and while at times I wondered if children understand the gravity of an illness like cancer I now totally believe that they do.  The children in Stephanie’s class are very special and they have shown me a side of understanding and inspiration that I didn’t know existed in today’s youth.  The children in this class have called me: brave, courageous, heroic, victorious, strong, successful, determined and magical.  Ms. Robledo and her class have reminded me that sharing my journey with others pays off.  I have found so much comfort from this book and while it made me cry like a baby it has also made everything a little easier.    
Me with SuperMonkey Book

I have received many other thoughtful gifts that continue to rejuvenate my “SuperMonkey Powers” ... it has been an Amazing Journey and I appreciate all the support!!

Brett and Larry 
As most of you know Matt and I live away from both of our families.  As a show of support My in laws (brother and father) decided to shave their heads along with me.  This is a very big deal - considering both live in Massachusetts and are currently going through the Snowpocolis of 2011.  Today Larry reported that there is no where to put the snow -- the accumulation has reached a ridiculous total of approximately 4 feet.
Larry Gets Buzzed

Brett Gets Buzzed
Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Kick Butt Adventures,
Nancy
Aka:  SuperMonkey
“In my body, where the shame gland should be, there is a second awesome gland. True story.” - Barney Stinson How I Met Your Mother

1 comment:

  1. resistance is futile, prepare to be assimilated! so cool--wish I was made of titanium!

    ReplyDelete