Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 16, 2011

Tuesday 2/15/11
So still feeling nausea – but muscling through.  We received a very pleasant surprise when Nick Payne stopped by to say hello.  His continual optimism is very rejuvenating.  I shared a few stories with Nick about my current chemo adventures – always fun to share the war stories with friends.  Being a tug-boat captain Nick actually has a lot of insight into nausea and he talked about what works for him – he mentioned the Altoid mints that have ginger – I didn’t even know this creature existed.  My internet search also revealed that they at one point made a chocolate covered version – needless to say I will be checking these out in the very near future.   
The evening brought a new adventure of it’s own, Matt and I went to pick up my wig.  We arrived at Women’s Health Boutique – greeted by smiles.  Jan – with whom I had placed my order seemed very happy to see us and she quickly asked if I wanted to try on my new wig.  When I said yes – she showed me back to her chair and opened the box to revile the coolest wig I had ever seen!!  I ordered my wig based on one that I saw in the shop that was long – but knew a short version would suit me better.  The color was selected based on a swatch and you never really know how that story is going to end, but this wig does a fabulous job of mixing in highlights with a base color.  I love it!!!!  Jan was excited to teach me about how to care for the wig and what I could do to change the look around.  She then did a little wig brushing and had me look at myself in the mirror – this wig totally suited me.  I will never have red hair – because my hair is way to dark – but I have always loved Red Hair.  Jan sent us off to have a fun night on the town with my new wig / new look she actually said we had to go out and “trip the light fantastic” – which is hysterical since that is the same ridiculous saying Matt always uses.  Riding home with my wig on made me feel totally different.  It is really nice to have the option of “fitting in” with this super cool and fun wig, because I have to say that with a buzzed head I get quite a bit of looks – I am sure I will get more once I lose it totally.  Wigs are really care free – you don’t have to wash it but once every 2 weeks and you just towel dry and then air-dry from there.  Mine is synthetic so it falls right into place – so no need to worry about styling at all.  This wig is a lace wig which means the hair falls very naturally – it is really hard to tell it is a wig when placed properly on your head.   As suggested by my nephew -- there will be more wig photos coming soon :)
With Glasses

Without Glasses


We did a quick wardrobe change and got another run in after we came home.  We stopped over to see the Houston Adventure Racing Team (HART) at training – Matt actually did a few sit ups and push ups with them as I stretched.  We took off for our run – and were able to get about 4 miles in at the park.  This time I actually did lose my cookies once and it was hard to bounce back from that – but we kept running.  Matt made a discovery tonight – he can run faster then me right now and he will likely tow me in future runs, we will be breaking out our towing set up next time.  For those of you who don’t know what this means – during Adventure Racing you are allowed to run or bike while attached to one another.  This is helpful as it makes the team move faster.  Matt and I have a set up that we use during runs that includes 2 belts – one for each of us and a bungee of sorts for the middle that attaches us to one another.  This set up allows for a little give considering you may speed up or slow down during a run.  Our usual racing style is that Matt is faster on the bike and I am faster on the run – it is safe to say that during chemo he is also faster then me on the run.    
Post Run Nausea :(

Sunday 2/13/11
The day started with juicing – I with a Mango, Strawberry and Cayenne Pepper Combo, Matt had Melon, Flat Leaf Parsley and Watercress (for those who don’t know Watercress is another leafy green that tastes like all other leafy greens).  Since yesterday’s run was so terrible – we decided to try it again.  Matt and I went for a run at the park – ended up logging a little over 5 miles.  This run was also full of nausea, but I made it through :)
Mango Yummy

Watercress Green 
A note about running:  A few years Matt thought he was being funny when he stopped in at a truck stop and purchased a powder called “Anti Monkey Butt Powder”, he bought it to tease me.  It says on the label that this power is “specially formulated to absorb excess sweat and reduce frictional skin irritation.  Ideal for butt busting activities such as:  motorcycling, bicycling, other extreme sports… also for those occasions when you sit on your butt all day.  May be used daily.”  Throughout adventure racing and running you find that you have to use different products to help protect or treat your skin and during chemo I have found my skin to change quite a bit.  What I am saying is that running while on chemo has been rather butt busting and I have required my fair share of Anti Monkey Butt Powder.    
Link in case you want to order and try it out (but they also sell it in some athletic stores):  http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/
Anti Monkey Butt Powder

Valentine’s Day is tomorrow and in true Vera fashion, she called and asked if we would be home this evening – she had something for us. 
Vera, Tommy and Ryder dropped by because Ryder was delivering valentines chocolates to all his lady friends.  I was lucky enough to make the list, he showed up with valentines chocolates and strawberries dipped in chocolate.  This is super funny because earlier this weekend I had told Matt that I needed some strawberries dipped in chocolate – to which he quickly responded – “NO!”  But Vera knew what I needed – this sweet treat came with a very sweet visit in which we were able to play with Ryder for a short period of time.  Thank you Ryder for being so thoughtful!!!
Ryder Chillin' in his Valentines Day PJs

Chocolate Covered Heaven :)

Saturday 2/12/11
So I have spent a little more time learning from other chemo patients and that the symptoms actually get a little worse each time – so I can expect that the nausea will continue to get progressively worse.  Means more of an opportunity to master this symptom.    
I was pretty nauseous all day and decided about mid day that I really needed to try to get some exercise.  So Matt and I went to Memorial park and got a loop in (around 3 miles).  This run was a little rough – due to the nausea.  At one point we saw a game of kickball – I don’t know if it was the nostalgia of thinking of my youthful kickball games but that threw me almost directly into tossing my cookies.  I am happy to report that I did not throw up during this run – but I won’t soon forget the feeling of running will nausea.  I have actually pushed myself on many runs / bikes to go beyond my comfort zone and throw up during exercise – so it felt a lot like that, I was in familiar territory.  

Photo from "Spread Your Wings Race" where I am sure I felt nausea a time or two
(Lori thanks for the picture)

Matt and I ended the evening with a visit to our new favorite hang out “Whole Foods”, we picked up dinner and ate it there followed by some light produce shopping to meet our juicing needs.  
Matt took a picture of me while I was sorting my meds in the parking lot before heading into “Whole Foods” – based on this picture I would say I was having a good – less nauseous moment :)
Med Sorting outside Whole Foods


Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy
Aka:  SuperMonkey


"I have made all your dreams come true ... Nancy, nightmares are dreams too you know."
- Matt Jordan
(this quote was delivered during one of the runs this week - I found this ridiculously funny and I will never forget it - when did Matt turn into Freddy Krueger?)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    I came across your blog in Google because I actually work with the Anti Monkey Butt Powder brand. I have read all of your posts and shared your blog with my colleagues. We are all praying for you and will continue to follow your inspiring blog. I couldn't find your email and I really wanted to reach out to you personally. If you have some time, please email me at boat@rlapr.com. I hope to talk to you soon. Stay strong!
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete