Wednesday, November 9, 2011

November 9, 2011

So it has been a couple of weeks since my last post.  What I am finding is that my days aren’t long enough.  I am tired everyday and the days I have energy I find it to be rather short-lived.  I am looking forward to the end of radiation.  
Wednesday 11/9/11
I am in my 6th week of treatment and today I had the 28th of 33 treatments.  It is a strange feeling to be getting the radiation and feel your body react to the treatment ... today I felt pain in my breast while being treated and shortly after finishing treatment I felt nausea.  
Today’s treatment was very exhausting and I am not sure why so much more exhausting then normal.  Probably because my body is getting so tired.  I think things will be slowing down a great deal in the next week.  
Tuesday 11/8/11
Today I started my new treatment plan.  The last treatment plan was exposing my esophagus to radiation - resulted in nausea and eventual trouble swallowing.  The machine I used prior was called “The Six” and the machine that administered my boost treatment is called “2100”.  The doctor has decided to continue using “2100” instead of transitioning me back to my previous machine.  The other strange thing is that my previous treatment plan was administered using treatment points so I would hear a series of noises (sounds a lot like laser hair removal or a taser gun).  The revised / new treatment plan  administers my radiation continuously.  
The sad part about leaving my boost treatment behind is that boost treatments are administered very quickly - the set up and treatment itself take a total of 10 minutes.  Today’s treatment took closer to half an hour (including set up, x-rays  and treatment).  
Self Portrait #1
(new hair style)

Self Portrait # 2
(same style from the right side)

Self Portrait #3
(same style from the back and probably the most challenging photo)

Self Portrait #4
(same style from the left side)
Monday 11/7/11
Today I completed my 7th / final boost treatment after which I saw my doctor (radiation oncologist).  
My current radiation side effects are: 
  1. Radiation dermatitis - dry skin, itchy skin and skin darkening.  Managed with Aquaphor.
  2. Pain - sharp shooting pain that lasts 5 min - 30 min.  Managed with advil or pain meds.
  3. Nausea and Esophagus Pain - this can last beyond the end of radiation.  Managed with “magic” mouthwash.
  4. Coughing - I have started to experience a cough when I go to bed and when I get up in the morning.  Not managed - according to the doctor my lungs sound clear.  
After reviewing my symptoms with my doctor we discussed the plan for my continued treatment.  The entire time I have been in radiation I understood that I would be receiving 35 treatments (over the course of 7 weeks 5 days a week).  Today the doctor told me that I will actually have 33 treatments -- this was great news and while it only means 2 less treatments then originally anticipated I will take this small victory.  The reason I will have less treatments then originally expected is because my tumor responded so well to chemo means I do not require the higher dose of 35 treatments.  
Saturday 11/5/11
Today Matt and I rode our motorcycles to the shop (Houston SuperBikes) to have my new steering stabilizer installed.  The shop was able to get this done this morning and we were on our way.  The ride wore me out so the rest of the day was pretty relaxed, I can only handle one exciting thing a day :) .  
Houston Snow Man (by the way that is cheese)


Thursday 11/3/11 - Thursday 10/27/11
Not much to report except that I am thankful for all the people in my life (family and friends).  I am finding that my challenge these days is my lack patience - I think the duration of treatment is getting to me now more then ever.  I am happy that treatment will be over soon.  
Random collection of photos taken over the week.

Toe Nail Color Change
(still no pedicures but I can get them painted and they gave me paper flip flops to wear home :)


It is a strange feeling holding your clothes in your hand while waiting for radiation on Halloween
(I had to take a picture so I wouldn't forget how strange and uncomfortable this feels)



Rental car broken into on 10/29

The only item in the car was my paperwork (registration and insurance)
the vandals kindly left that on the front seat

Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy
AKA:  SuperMonkey
“A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes.”
- Mohandas Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment