Sunday, October 2, 2011

October 2, 2011

Sunday 10/2/11
Matt left for a business trip very early today.  I have had a very relaxing day, I slept in and did very little.  Tomorrow morning is my first radiation treatment and I have to be there pretty early in the morning so I will be going to bed pretty early tonight.  
Saturday 10/1/11
With the no sweat restriction still in effect I have specific activities that I have to avoid.  Matt went to the track and an entire day at the track is something that would cause way too much sweating -- so I didn’t go with him.  Instead I drove up later after my guitar lesson.  Todays lesson was awesome - I learned the first few chords to a song “Free Falling” by Tom Petty.  This is super exciting and my teacher and I talked about what kind of music I would like to learn :)
I ran a few errands and then went to the track to see Matt.  He went to Grand Sport Speedway in Hitchcock, TX, which is a little over an hour away.  The weather is starting to improve -- I think it hovered around 85 while I was there - which is a welcomed relief over the intolerable weather from this summer.  After visiting for a few hours I headed home and relaxed.  Not sweating is actually a lot of work. :)

My Self Portrait at Grand Sport Speedway Track
Video of Matt at the Track
Matt is on his Black Ducati HyperMotard in his white riding suit

October is breast cancer awareness month, Susan Komen had a race for the cure in Houston (which I did not attend due to the heat and the sweating).  In Massachusetts my Father-In-Law attended a Ride for the Cure in New Hampshire, above 250 motorcycles and rain.  He met quite a few people who have been impacted by breast cancer and he sent a few pictures. 
  1. He met a couple who own a Pink “Fight For The Cure” Fire Truck, they take it to all Fight Cancer events they are able, in order to show support.  He shared my story with the woman who owns it and she handed him a marker and said “Pick out a spot and that spot will be Nancy’s forever.”
  2. He also met another lady, her daughter and her husband.  She is a cancer survivor and had a double mastectomy 17 yrs ago.  She also rides a harley and he describes her as full of happiness and life.  He shared my story with her and she wanted him to tell me that she sends me a big “fight like a girl hug”.  
Larry - Thanks for being such an incredible father-in-law and a fabulous person.  It is completely true that my family and friends have helped me be as strong as possible in this time.  
Larry with his Harley :)

Pink "Fight For The Cure" Fire Truck

Larry's Dedication
Super Sweet :)

Friday 9/30/11
Since my simulation I have been waiting to start radiation and this afternoon I was scheduled to go in for my “films”.  A series of x-rays that are taken and fused with the CT Scan taken during my simulation.  This process is supposed to be very easy and quick - or at least that is what I was told.  I laid down in my body mold (which was cast during my simulation and they started the process.  After about 15 min my left arm started to fall asleep and the radiation tech kept coming in and out of the room.  Each time she would say we are almost done.  After 25 min I felt like my arm fell asleep again and started to hurt pretty bad.  The tech continued to come in and out and said we were almost done, I reminded her that she said this before, of course she scurried away and didn’t care that I was in pain.  After approximately 45 - 60 min we were done, but my arm was asleep and hurt so bad I could barely think about anything else.  The radiation tech assured me that treatments will not take this long, the initial films require the most pictures.  
We reviewed the process I will go through each day when I return for treatment.  I discussed with them my concern over the fact that I miss working out, but I don’t think I can keep my marks in tact while sweating through a workout.  They advised that I hold off and avoid working out during the weekend, but that the week days might be better since they will touch up my markings each time I come in.  This is sorta sad because I have the most work out time and energy during the weekend (but I will figure it out).
I also asked more about what places on my body will be radiated.  I was told that because I will have “Image Guided Therapy” I will actually have several spots where my skin may react to the treatment: 1) Several spots on my left side, 2) Spots between my breasts, 3)  My entire left breast, 4) Above my left breast / collar bone and 5) On my back.  I will have a better idea of how my skin will react after the first few treatments.  
Wednesday 9/28/11
I still haven’t started radiation and my markings have started to fade.  I was scheduled to come back into the doctors office to be remarked.  The biggest issue I have is that the markings fade overnight while I sleep, which of course can not be avoided.  The radiation techs remarked me and added more tape to keep my markings in place, which should help.  
Self Portrait of my markings on my way to get them redone
(the sticker in the center is totally smudged)

Sunday 9/25/11
Today Matt and I celebrated our 12 year anniversary.  As long as it is still hot outside the options for how to celebrate are limited.  Matt and I went out to lunch at Zoe’s Kitchen and then went to the movies.  I love movies, but this one was really bad, “Straw Dogs”.  It was not a feel good anniversary movie or even a well done horror movie, I do not recommend watching this movie.  Matt and I contemplated watching another movie while we were there - because we were in between afternoon and evening showings.  We ended the day with a relaxed evening at home.  
Matt and I have always had a strong relationship and through this last year it has strengthened in a way I never knew possible.  This anniversary is a good reminder for me to be appreciative of the relationship I have with Matt.  I am lucky to have such a great partner / team mate / friend through this the most important challenge in my life.  
Picture of me at Lunch
(taken by Matt)

Matt and I at the movies (that is one yellow picture)

Saturday 9/24/11
Today I had my first guitar lesson.  It makes me laugh every time I think of myself playing the guitar because I have never been musically inclined.  While I played the violin in elementary school, the violin isn’t something I have been very interested in or very good at as an adult.  My goal is to learn to play a few popular songs that people could sing along to.  I did a few introductory lessons on line - but quickly realized that I need a live teacher in order to learn what I need to know.  
Yahoo for music :)
Since my last update I have been patiently waiting to begin radiation.  In the meantime trying not to sweat, or do anything that might disturb my markings, which has actually been challenging.  
Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy
AKA:  SuperMonkey
“Everyone has difficult years, but a lot of times the difficult years end up being the greatest years of your whole entire life, if you survive them.”
 - Brittany Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment