Monday, September 12, 2011

September 12, 2011

Sunday 9/11/11
Yesterdays track day wore Matt and I out.  The days heat can get to you.  Today I was completely committed to get a little exercise so Matt and I went to the park for a run and we did one loop (about 3 miles).  We got a late start so it was hot out but it always feels good to exercise.  
At the park before my run
(that is why I am smiling)

Guess what I did Sunday afternoon after my nap ... I played the guitar. :)  I haven’t named my guitar but I am very excited about my birthday present ... it has already brought me a great deal of joy and I hope to be able to play a song sometime soon.  This was a fabulous birthday weekend!!


Saturday 9/10/11
Matt had another track day today - location Motor Sports Ranch Houston (MSRH).  We saw a lot of familiar faces and I am reminded each track day that the motorcycle community has been so supportive of Matt and I for the duration of my diagnosis and treatment.  There were many funny moments throughout the day and one of them was the fact that Matt asked that I fill his 5 gallon gas can with gas.  This lead to an event I am referring to as “Gas-Mageddon” (like Armageddon).  During this event the following occurred:  1)  I had to find the gas pump which required that I walk about 1 mile, 2) I had to open the gas tank which I think Matt sealed with super glue, 3) Due to the fact that the 93 octane pump was inoperable I had to get 98 octane gas which cost a little less then $9 a gallon.  All of this combined made for a very tiring day and a whole list of motorcyclists chuckling at me during “Gas-Mageddon”.  


Self Portrait as the day began
(before "Gas-Maggedon")

Self Portrait from the stands
(after "Gas-Mageddon")



The track day ended with a mock race for the advanced riders ... it was the first I have seen and it was pretty exciting.  At this track you don’t have full visibility of the entire track (you actually don’t have visibility of the entire track at any of the tracks we go to).  The portions of the track / race we saw were very exciting.  Overall, a great show of skill and speed.  

I came home and I played with my guitar a little more ... according to the lessons on youtube it takes a little time to toughen the skin on your fingers ... I have already noticed that holding the guitar and positioning my fingers is getting easier.  Still no songs but I think I will be able to strum to a beat soon :)
Me with my new Guitar
(what is that hanging off the curtain rod?)

Friday 9/9/11
After a full day of work Matt and I decided to go pick out a gift.  We decided a long time ago that it works a lot better if you buy your own gift and this year I decided that I wanted a guitar.  I have been wanting to learn to play the guitar for a very long time but continuously convinced myself that I was too busy.  With all the changes going on in my life I have tried much harder to cease the day so this is a good a time as any to learn to play.  Picking a guitar is actually much more challenging then I originally anticipated.  I learned a lot about various types of guitars.  Despite the fact that Matt thought I should buy an electric guitar I stuck with the acoustic option.  You can also plug in an acoustic guitar, but the guitar I picked does not have this option, I can choose to add this feature later if I like.  The guitar I selected is an Epiphone Acoustic Guitar.  The color called starburst and it is beautiful.  
I went home and learned a few things on my new guitar; how to tune my guitar, how to play a few strums and a couple of notes.  I was super excited!
Thursday 9/8/11
Today was my birthday and my day started with a phone call from Matt to wish me a happy birthday (he was traveling).  Growing up in a very modest environment / family I grew up understanding that you really shouldn’t bring a lot of attention to yourself, but as you saw from my last post I am a very different person this year.  Matt returned from business travel late in the day.  Matt took me out for a burger and beer at one of my favorite places “Broken Spoke” on Washington.  While it was very low key I felt great and received several emails, cards and phone calls with happy birthday wishes.  I also had no problem telling everyone I spoke to that it was my birthday.  It was an awesome day!  
Matt and I at the "Broken Spoke" for my birthday dinner
Stay tuned for more SuperMonkey Adventures,
Nancy
AKA:  SuperMonkey
“When I was born I was so surprised I didn’t talk for a year and a half.”
 - Author Unknown

“Birthdays are good for you.  Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.”
 - Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment